- What information does Capital One® require when I apply for a credit card?
- You’ll need to provide personal information, including your:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Physical address (No P.O. Boxes)
- Estimated gross annual income
- Checking and/or savings account information
- Yes. You can add authorized users online after you sign in, or you can call the number on the back of your card. Please note that to add an authorized user to your account, you must be the primary cardholder, secondary cardholder, power of attorney, or small business account manager.
Adding a user can be done only if you’ve already been approved—not during the application process. We do not offer the option for co-applicants at this time, but you may add an authorized user after your account is opened.
Find out the difference between a co-signer and authorized user.
- How can I find out the status of my credit card application?
- If you apply by phone or online, you will often get a response in 60 seconds. However, in some cases we need to collect additional information to make a decision.
You can check the status of your application anytime by calling 1-800-903-9177. We will notify you in writing of our decision within 7 to 10 days of your application.
- When will I receive my new credit card?
- If you’re approved, you’ll receive your Capital One card, credit limit information, and welcome materials by mail within 7 to 10 business days. However, customers approved for a Secured Mastercard card will need to pay the deposit in full before the card ships—then it will be 7 to 10 business days.
- How do you apply my payments?
- We generally apply payments up to your minimum payment first to the balance with the lowest APR, and then to balances with higher APRs. We apply any part of your payment exceeding your minimum payment to the balance with the highest APR, and then to balances with lower APRs.
- What should I do if I’ve been declined and can’t access my secure letter online?
- If you’ve been notified online that you were declined for a credit card from Capital One, we want to make sure we help you understand why. If you are unable to access your secure letter online containing further details, please call us at 1-800-903-9177 to request that a paper copy be mailed to you.